1. Hey there, it looks like you haven't registered yet! Joining is free and we would love to have you as part of our community! Register / Login

new gpu vs psu

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Drac OPZ, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Drac OPZ

Drac OPZ All the Above and Beyond Community Manager

So I might be ordering a new GPU was looking at the 970 gfx.

Thing is it requires 550 watt psu. Now i currently have a 600 watt PSU does that mean it will run the card plus everything else fine? or do I need to also upgrade my PSU? I'm not too familiar with how all that works.

2. Shamma

Shamma

I would say that you are going to need to upgrade the power supply as well, especially if you have multiple hard drives.

3. Drac OPZ

I only run a 1tb HDD, 8 gigs of ram if that helps any

4. Drac OPZ

5. Shamma

Shamma

If I'm looking at that correctly it says that you have no hard drives and no memory.

6. Shamma

Shamma

Well you may be okay with your psu but if you get instability problems then think about upgrading the psu. Try it and see how it goes. It just seems to me like you would be kinda borderline. Hope this helps.

7. Drac OPZ

lol not sure why it was set to zero weird, fixed thanks for that!

http://outervision.com/b/z4thcL

here is the fixed one^

8. Drac OPZ

Well as I said I don't know much about that sort of thing. However, a friend of mine is running sli titans (very rarely turns on sli) but even with that he only has a 800 watt. So it would shock me if I needed more then a 650-700 watt.

9. Shamma

Shamma

I was looking into this a bit more and it looks like you should be fine. The 970 uses less power than I thought.

10. GingaNinja

GingaNinja Unabashed Grammar Nazi Member

I have 4 hard disk drives, an SSD, 4-core OC'ed AMD processor, and 4 sticks of RAM. I have a 600W power supply and just upgraded to a 970 a few months ago. Runs like a dream. Just make sure you have a good brand power supply with a good rating.

11. Drac OPZ

This psu is about maybe 7-8 months old maybe a little more. It's a thermaltake which got a 5 star on newegg and was on sale at the time thats the reason I decided to order it. It's pretty good plus has a 2 year warranty so yay?! lol

I'll most likely order the 970 tonight then! Appreciate the help guys!

12. Shamma

Shamma

I love ssd's

13. Drac OPZ

There nice, but only if you can afford them ;)

14. Shamma

Shamma

I'm interested To know what motherboard you have.

15. Drac OPZ

Nothing special just a gigabyte mobo that supports sli i paid like 70 bucks for it a year ago lol...

16. 50Mhz

50Mhz

I got the EVGA 980TI , and had a 850W PS, the card ran great on lower end games such as CS:S and CS:GO, but when playing ARK or GTA V I had a lot of issues. I ended up purchasing a 1300W PS and haven't had a problem since. I ran these calculations on Newegg and such and they dont really mean anything, as far as I can see. I would strongly recommend getting a higher PSU, you are going to need it to see the full potential of a card like the 970. I would say you at the very least need a 850W.

17. Drac OPZ

There is no way you should need that much though. Check out twitch stream lirik. He runs a titan x OC sli with 16 gigs of ram and only has a 1000 watt. He plays a ton of heavy fps oriented games too and never exceeds below 60 fps especially on arma 3 which is a huge fps oriented game.

Edit: just double checked and he is actually running Tri sli titan x oc's

Here is his current setup

• CPU: i7 5960X OC
    • GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X x3 (Tri-SLI)
    • PSU: 1,000 Watts - Corsair RM1000 80 PLUS GOLD
    • RAM: 32GB DDR4 LPX
    • HDD: 1TB SSD x2 (RAID 1)
    • KBD: Noppo Choc Mini
    • MOTHERBOARD: ASUS RVE X99
    • MOUSE: Logitech G400s

18. Shamma

Shamma

I was wondering if your motherboard has a m.2 slot on it. Can you give me the model of it?

19. Drac OPZ

I can once my new gpu comes when i open my case. At the moment I don't feel like moving everything all my lan table to open it lol.. too lazy :D

20. Shamma

Shamma