1. Hey there, it looks like you haven't registered yet! Joining is free and we would love to have you as part of our community! Register / Login

ssd worth?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Drac OPZ, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Drac OPZ

Drac OPZ All the Above and Beyond Community Manager

Curious, I keep hearing a ton of people getting SSD's now. Curious why other then I heard it is a faster read/write time. Does this actually affect gaming that much?

Also, i'm just taking a shot at this as i'm not really fully up to date on computer hardware, but i take it if you have an SSD most just use it to run there games off of it, and use their regular HDD to run everything else? or?

2. Gavlan

Gavlan Member

Currently use an SSD for my OS for a few games I frequent and that are notorious for load times. The boot time for an SSD is an immense upgrade over booting up from an HDD. Probably takes me no more than 10 seconds from power button to homescreen.

Here's a good vid on SSD loading time comparisons in-game - it can vary widely from game to game and there are other factors to be considered.
    An SSD is a "solid state drive" i.e. it has no moving parts unlike an HDD which uses rotations in order to read/write. This means that the drive isn't limited by the speed of an HDD rotating in order to load. The lack of moving parts means that an SSD is also less susceptible to damage from blunt force shock like dropping it.

Downsides of SSDs include price per space ratio and longevity. I won't get into specifics but SSDs have a limited number of times each "cell" can be written over before it can't be used again. Truthfully it isn't really an issue though because that kind of issue wouldn't come up for years, maybe 5 or 6, from the more often written on drives.

I originally bought my SSD to speed up OS booting times because I had a really old HDD that was bogging down and didn't want to keep up maintenance on something I didn't really plan on keeping. At the end of the day it was a quality of life improvement, not necessary at all but the convenience and performance improvements were worth it to me. I ended up using it for a few games and compared it to my HDD and found the quality to vary in terms of worth. Some games would boot much faster but others it was very minute. I still use an HDD for mass storage of miscellaneous files such as media and documents as well as a backup drive and most of my games, but I think that the SSD was a good purchase.

Sorry for the wall of text long night at work :p I may also fact check this when I'm not sleep-deprived :kiss:

3. Kяєωєℓℓα

Kяєωєℓℓα Geт Weт Senior Admin

I have 4 seagate barracuda 2t and they work just fine..ik buying an ssd speed up booting but i dont think its worth the money...my friend has tried to get me to buy one for a long time now but i just dont see the point when my hdd's work just fine lol..but thats just my opinion

4. SillyBillyWTF

SillyBillyWTF

Inventory:

Heard that SSD's only help boot times and writing data for games and that it doesnt affect game play. I use a Samsung EVO (750 i think?) for my OS, a 1TB WD Black HDD for main storage, and an old Crucial SSD for my games. Definitely like how fast games load and install, just the cost for more storage on an SSD is pricey

5. Drac OPZ

Okay, I thought I was thinking correctly and seems so. I didn't think it really affected gameplay that much and mostly used just for boot times obviously cause of the faster read/write.

I am currently in the making of building a new custom comp and wanted to make sure if it was worth it or not.

6. Woody

Woody Administrator Founder

Inventory:

It's not just for boot times. Anything that writes/reads to the HD will be faster. Moving, copying, deleting large files, etc.

I would recommend a small one

7. Drac OPZ

Yeah, I am prob going to get the samsung evo 250 gb

• Like Like x 1
  8. GingaNinja

GingaNinja Unabashed Grammar Nazi Member

Being able to boot and USE my computer in less than 15 seconds has me spoiled. I hate working on people's computers with HDD's and having to wait 10 minutes after logging on to even do anything lol. I don't put any games on mine, just applications. I also do my game capture to my SSD so that it doesn't lag my game out too much while I'm saving videos.

IMO it's totally worth putting your boot drive on. I never have to wait on programs

9. Drac OPZ

Great to know! question if I do that how do you go about using a regular HDD as just for memory purposes, or does it need to be formatted with an OS as well? prob nooby question lol

10. Gavlan

Gavlan Member

You'll just have two drives hooked up to your PC. Just set the SSD as the first boot device in your BIOS and then you can set your PC settings to save your files and things to the HDD, probably be called (D: )or (E: ) drive rather than (C: ) which will be the SSD. It doesn't need an OS.

11. GingaNinja

I usually only connect the SSD when installing the OS just to make sure everything goes smoothly, then connect the other drives next time I restart. But yeah like Gav said, other drives will show up just like a USB flash drive does.

12. Drac OPZ

Okay cool, thanks for the info, never ran two drives before so wasn't quite sure.

13. SillyBillyWTF

SillyBillyWTF

Inventory:

im planning on upgrading to a 480gb one cus i ran out on my 240gb :hilarious: GTA-V and Fallout 4 hogged up whatever space i had left

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. GingaNinja

1TB get on my level :cigar:

15. Woody

Woody Administrator Founder

Inventory:

1TB SSD?

• Wizard Wizard x 1
  16. Gavlan

Gavlan Member

Kinda makes sense really @GingaNinja if you have enough money to afford a 1TB SSD you probably work so much that you don't have much time to use your PC, therefore you need a 1TB SSD. :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. SillyBillyWTF

SillyBillyWTF

Inventory:

If i had the moolah i would! :arghh: