1. Hey there, it looks like you haven't registered yet! Joining is free and we would love to have you as part of our community! Register / Login

Tutorial: Installing custom skins/sounds/etc.

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Heavy Weapons Guy, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Ok this is a tutorial on how to change your skins, sprites, sounds, HUD in CSS and other source / valve games. This works for CSS, TF2, Half-Life games, etc.

In this post I'll talk about CSS modding, but for Valve / Source games, it is the relatively the same.

First navigate to your CSS directory. Mine is:
    F:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Counter-Strike Source\cstrike
    There is a folder in there called custom. That is where you will be putting your custom skins and files.

[​IMG]

Basically when you download for example a weapon skin, sounds, or other stuff like sprites (Muzzle flashes, decals, flashlights, textures, overlays, etc.), you will get folders such as Materials, Models, Scripts, Sounds, etc. You will move these folders from the downloaded .rar or .zip package to this location. You can put the folders from the skins directly in the custom folder, but I have another folder called Mods and then put them in there.

Either way works!

VPK Files: If your skin / sound does NOT have loose files and folders, and instead has a single .VPK file, just place it in the custom folder and that's it, it's installed!

[​IMG]

Now to get skins, and sounds, and all that, they are all available from the website: http://gamebanana.com/

Looking at the top you can see those buttons, Graphics, maps, skins, misc. That is where you will find the categories of what you are looking for, whether it is a skin, sound, sprite, a sound, etc.

[​IMG]

Then from the middle of the screen under categories you can see the list of games that have custom skins, organized from most to least. Counter Strike Source at the top for the most amount of skins.

[​IMG]

It should be pretty self explanatory from there, as you can see more sub categories such as, AUG, AK47, Glock, Map Props, Other, etc.

Many of the newer skins are complete with sounds and all that. The older ones are just view models.

Viewmodel: How the gun looks when you are using it.
    Worldmodel: How the gun looks when it is dropped, laying somewhere, or when you look at someone else using it.

So let's say you want to use this AK-47 skin that I use: http://css.gamebanana.com/skins/115959

Open up the .rar file (Assuming you have Win-rar or w/e), and you will see materials, models, scripts, sound folders.

[​IMG]

You basically just need to move these folders into your custom folder in your counter strike source/cstrike folder.
    The other 2 zips within this one are an optional darker wood texture and a newer reload which does the boltpull whenever you reload instead of only the mag change.

Same Principle! Just open it up and move the folder to the corresponding location!

There are many skins that have additional optional textures and attachments and stuff you can add to the weapon.

Like this skin for example, BF3 SCAR-H for Famas: http://css.gamebanana.com/skins/114049
    [​IMG]

So there is a required folder, which is basically the default skin itself, you can play with that alone. And there is also an attachments folder which has additional custom sights, silencer and flash hider option, the magazine, side and bottom panels, etc.

Once again, same idea, just open up that folder and when you find the materials or models folder, just copy it into your custom folder.

NOTE: Be sure to properly check the folder names. There is models folder that goes into the custom folder, and there is a Materials/Models folder. Do not get the two mixed up think their both the same or you might get texture problems.
    The Models folder is for the exterior shape and redesign of the weapons, players, objects etc, and also the animations.
    The Materials/Models folder is where the textures and design features go.
    There is also a scripts folder used for scripts that the skin makers write to identify to the game where the materials and models for the skin are located, and the names of the sound files, since some skins use non default file names for the sounds.
    Just some additional knowledge.

You can also get player skins, CT & T packs like Skyrim Draugr T pack like I'm using http://css.gamebanana.com/skins/136397

It's all the same concept, you just need to move the folders to the custom folder in your CSS directory and any other subfolders that come with the skin.

If you have any questions or run into any problems, feel free to ask.
    Anything I missed feel free to add it to the post.
    Good luck and have fun!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Woody

Woody Administrator Founder

Inventory:

Nice tutorial!

3. Thanks, requested by VexedVixen
    Could that other post be removed, I posted it in Technical Support/Help Desk then after realized there was a tutorial section.
    Don't know how to remove posts >.>

4. Woody

Woody Administrator Founder

Inventory:

It will automatically be removed. It's just a redirection thread right now and will expire shortly.