1. Hey there, it looks like you haven't registered yet! Joining is free and we would love to have you as part of our community! Register / Login

new gpu vs psu

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Drac OPZ, Feb 10, 2016.

1. 50Mhz

50Mhz

Yeah I have a AMD FX 6300 Six Core 3.50GHz, 24GB ram, EVGA 980Ti, a MSI 970 Gaming MB, (5) 120MM Fans, 1TB HD 7200RPM, Blu-Ray Burner, DVDRW Drive, Razer mouse and KB, and I'm telling you 850W was not enough for ARK or GTAV to run on the highest quality. I bought the 1300W so I wouldn't need to upgrade for a while, and now i can run both of those games on the highest settings, just fine. All I am saying is you should at least get a 850W. It should cost you like a $100.

2. Drac OPZ

Drac OPZ All the Above and Beyond Community Manager

Hm, I figured I might of had to and already looked them up this morning. I myswell do it as well for future purposes, but i'm not sure I can afford it right at this time. I might just order the gpu and focus on the psu later since my current can at least run it decently. I only play single player games and/or low end games that aren't really fps extensive anyways. The only reason to upgrade at this time was I want to be able to play some of these newer games exp:

Fallout 4
    Firewatch
    Farcry Primal
    Subnautica
    Dying Light

Multiplayer:
    Overwatch
    ATS

3. Drac OPZ

I took your advice ordered a 850 watt thermaltake psu and the nivida gtx 970 should arrive in about 3-4 days.

4. 50Mhz

50Mhz

Right on, games should work just fine with that setup, you are going to see a big difference.

5. Drac OPZ

I better after spending $418.00 that I really didn't have lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. 50Mhz

50Mhz

Haha, trust me, it was worth it!

7. 50Mhz

50Mhz

So have you received your psu and gpu yet? If so, have you seen any improvement?

8. Drac OPZ

Yes I have and I've seen a hugeeeeee improvement. Now this may seem a bit weird, but I finally got everything installed the other night and decided to jump on sk which I haven't really had time to play in about 2 weeks. I jumped on and was getting ridiculous reg like seemed better then before which i'm not sure fps really has anything to do with reg but for me it seemed like it did. I was hitting headshots that were finally regging for me and people were actually talking crap to me "again" made me chuckle saying I was a pubstar which pubstars only care about rank which I do not but gave me a laugh regardless.

Now I installed the free game I got with the gpu purchase which was the new tomb raider and I played that for an hour or so and it was definitely a great game and ran smooth as hell. I'd say it was worth it for sure on the upgrade.

9. 50Mhz

50Mhz

People always talk shit to you in SK no matter what, I'm glad the upgrade is working out good for you. No issues with temperature? Getting to hot or anything ? Only reason I say that, is when I got my 980ti I had to buy two more fans and make airflow through my case a lot better, or it would overheat constantly.

10. Drac OPZ

I got 3 fans plus then the default 2 on the gpu. So far I checked and it is running cool plus the upside is living here in pa right now it's cold as shit outside and my lan room I have NO HEAT inside. The other day I had off work due to having stomach issues and I decided to get on the comp for a bit and I was able to see my own breath inside the lan room haha. I had to go to the garage and grab a portable heater for a bit to knock the chill down.

11. 50Mhz

50Mhz

Haha, using nature to cool your cpu, great, what kind of cooling system do you have? ummm duh its called snow and cold weather..... Nice. The three fans should be sufficient, just keep your eye on it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Shamma

Shamma

I'm glad to see that the upgrade went well for you.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Drac OPZ

haha, indeed. Now when summer comes is going to be the real test since apparently everyone thinks our summer this season is going to be dreadfully hot. Thankfully I do have an a/c I can put into the window in the room.

14. GingaNinja

GingaNinja Unabashed Grammar Nazi Member

Come to Louisiana this summer, then tell me if it's hot in PA

15. Drac OPZ

Oh I can imagine. See the difference is PA is a known state for cold/wet. We rarely would have any very hot days above 95 degrees. Till the past 8 years I would say now it's been rising and we've been getting tons of tropical storms. We hit a record last summer for one of the hottest days we ever had which was 118 degrees high humidity "feels like was set at 130 degrees" We had a state emergency set in for people to stay indoors and out of the sun and heat.

We're starting to see east coast turning into a tropical region. Slowly seeing tropical animals moving into the states. We never had alligators or crocs or even a ton of snakes for reasons I mentioned about cold/wet states, but now we're seeing them coming our way. Alligators being spotted inside our rivers now and snakes spotted crossing and/or bedding on the roads.

16. GingaNinja

GingaNinja Unabashed Grammar Nazi Member

Gotta choot dem gaidas, Drac. Dey real bed news

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. 50Mhz

50Mhz

Well, that's not that bad, come to Vegas for a summer, you wont have any sweat left. 100+ degrees everyday.

18. Drac OPZ

You got to understand that you guys are use to it though. It would just be like you coming here when we have -10 degrees outside you'd think it was cold as shit and yet we'll go outside in our shorts and it doesn't bug us lol

19. 50Mhz

50Mhz

Yeah that is true, i would freeze to death. LOL

• Funny Funny x 1