1. Hey there, it looks like you haven't registered yet! Joining is free and we would love to have you as part of our community! Register / Login

Nvidia GTX 970 lawsuit plus questions

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Drac OPZ, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Drac OPZ

Drac OPZ All the Above and Beyond Community Manager

So about a week ago I decided to upgrade my HDD and so I bought a WD Black and just installed it a few days ago. Last night I finally had time to update and install everything. Now I jumped on CS:S twice now and it is so choppy and fps is weirdly dropping randomly from 175 down to 20 then back to 175.

So, if anyone has a 970 please post your video settings ingame for CS:S. I tried multiple ways and can't figure out what is causing it.

Lawsuit:

Also, I got an email today for a class action lawsuit happening against Nvidia for the GTX 970. It was straight from newegg so yes it is legit. Here is what it said:

[​IMG]

2. 50Mhz

50Mhz

Got the same email. About my 980ti, we will see where this goes.

3. GingaNinja

GingaNinja Unabashed Grammar Nazi Member

Basically you get $30 back if you fill out all their paperwork...could be wrong though. I've got a 970 so I'll go check my CSS settings for you

• Ding! Ding! x 1
  4. Gavlan

Gavlan Member

It is 30 USD per card for a class action lawsuit because of their advertised VRAM being higher than the actual VRAM on the card.

5. GingaNinja

Something like that, I saw LinusTech talking about it a few days ago and that seemed to be the gist of it

6. Drac OPZ

30 dollars is 30 dollars :)

@GingaNinja that would be great if you don't mind. I tried playing dust 2 and our gun game and both are super choppy ever since I installed the new HDD. It has to be a video setting or something I am missing.

7. GingaNinja

Everything turned up all the way pretty much, I haven't used any special console commands either to change things.
    I get like 160-180 fps usually

20160802000347_1.jpg

8. Woody

Woody Administrator Founder

Inventory:

I'm guessing your games are on this new hard drive? WD Blacks are usually pretty reliable... I have two in my computer currently. With that being said, I would highly doubt it's something related to your graphics card. CS:S and TF2 are constantly reading and writing from your hard drive.. meaning if there is an issue it could cause an FPS drop. I would try another hard drive before you dig much deeper into anything else.

If you don't have a spare hard drive you can use HD tune or a similar program to test your read/write speeds.

9. GingaNinja

All my games run off a 3TB Seagate and load times are decent enough. WD Blacks are better than my drives so it'd surprise me if that was your bottleneck. After what Woody said I may move some games to my SSD.

10. Woody

Woody Administrator Founder

Inventory:

The new drive could have an issue from the start. It's best to narrow down that it's not the issue. Most games don't need an SSD and won't perform any better when on one (TF2, CSS, Overwatch, etc). The only game I've ever really seen a drastic difference is with Ark. Most mechanical hard drives these days have decent read/write speeds.

11. Drac OPZ

I mean I just went onto our gun game and so far so good. I updated windows again which gave an update for framework and i'm thinking that could of been the issue since framework has something to do with gpu drivers... apparently.

I'll check dust 2 and see if that is still choppy and if that is the case then i'll do tests for the hd.

12. Drac OPZ

So, let me see if you still think it's the hdd or could be.

Before I switched HDD's I used the same autoexec obviously and I copied it over from my usb. It turns off fps_max to 0. I was getting around 700-800 fps I would say before. Now I went on and tested and i'm getting only 320. Not saying that is bad, but there has to be something wrong that i'm not getting the same as before when nothing else changed other then the HD. So, I am clueless really other then maybe testing the HD out to make sure it's not that. I don't know what else it could be though.

13. Drac OPZ

WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive- 7200 rpm sata 6GB/s 64mb cache

I ran the HD tune trial and this is the info I got as i'm not familiar with how to read this crap lol

HD Tune Pro: WDC WD1003FZEX-00MK2 Benchmark

Test capacity: full

Read transfer rate
    Transfer Rate Minimum : 49.2 MB/s
    Transfer Rate Maximum : 177.6 MB/s
    Transfer Rate Average : 137.5 MB/s
    Access Time : 16.1 ms
    Burst Rate : 151.5 MB/s
    CPU Usage : 12.6%

14. Drac OPZ

nvm, now get this, I literally just thought of something was like worth a shot. I opened nvidia control panel and went into it and selected Program settings under manage 3d settings. It overrides the graphic/video settings of your games to set in the control panel. I did that for CS:S and now i literally am getting 800-1k fps constant. It's weird though as it does drop to 300 fps randomly once in a while, but so far holding. I mean idc along as it's not below 300, idc what anyone says I do take notice when my fps is that low :p

sk- 800-1k fps

dust 2- 220 fps

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Drac OPZ

I played both last night, and was working 100% as before. Let's hope it stays that way, oh besides still getting booted to desktop while in gun game once in a while. Still haven't figured out what is causing that yet, as I replaced my gpu, and my hd both now. So, maybe my cpu?? LOL? or maybe it is somethign on the server which is what i'm guessing and my computer just doesn't like it.

16. Gavlan

Gavlan Member

Have you verified the integrity of game cache on the game in question?

17. Drac OPZ

Yup

18. Gavlan

Gavlan Member

It's just the one map? It might be a custom file causing an issue. You've tried uninstalling the custom files and then joining the server?

19. Drac OPZ

Nope, it can be any map far as i've seen. It is random too, which is what I think is the weirdest thing. For example, I hopped on last night played 2 maps, the 3rd map i played till I was 2 more lvls away from winning which is approx 15 minutes of game time before it decided to crash to desktop. Also, it doesn't give an error which is another weird thing as most times you receive warnings or errors usually. It only happens in our gungame as well, I can play any other server just fine. I also jump into dogz gungame and play once in a while and I never crashed in there and they have mostly all the same maps. So it's either a setting on our server, or script,mod, or something extra that my computer just doesn't like.

20. Gavlan

Gavlan Member

Yikes. That is really weird. I agree it is probably something to do with our server